Green Buildings and Practices Certificate (*includes 3 hour FAIR HOUSING Requirement*)
NY State Approved for 22.5 hours of continuing education.
Kristen Bacorn also offers the Green Associate Course (Click Here) as well as a 7.5 hour CE course on Green Architecture every month (Click Here).
For Kristen's schedule, click here
Having spoken to thousands of people about green
buildings, the most common question I hear is, "What IS
green?" The course, therefore, will teach agents how to
answer that question intelligently and how to
incorporate green building products into their real
Highlights (Brief description below)
- The entire presentation is accompanied by Powerpoint presentations as well as whiteboard demonstrations and printed handouts.
- Day 1 Green Concepts and Technology
What is a “green” building?
• Green certification
• Use of green standards, LEED, Energy Star, etc.
• NYS planning & support of green initiatives
• Relationship of green design to local design codes
Green Design is different
• Design concepts
• Computer modeling - Energy 10, DOE 2, HEED
• Case study
• Step by step design of a green apartment building compared to a conventional one - non-technology solutions
• Local sources
• Interior finishes & design
• How materials affect air quality, mold, etc.
• Plumbing, drainage, water reclamation
• Electrical power - how to measure kWh
• Future of technologies - for example, new solar production & storage techniques, hydrogen delivery, etc.
- Day 2 Understanding LEED (Leadership in Energy & Environmental Design)
• What LEED is and the LEED rating system product portfolio
• Why certify?
• Steps to becoming a LEED AP, the LEED test
• Project registration, fee structures, submittal phases and formats
• CIRs, Appeals
• Final review, acceptance, LEED plaque
• Site Selection
• Brownfield Redevelopment
• Site Development, Habitat & Open Space
Water Efficiency Points
• Innovative Wastewater Technologies
• Water Use Reduction
Energy & Atmosphere
• Green Power
Materials & Resources
• Building Reuse
• Regional Materials
• Rapidly Renewable Materials
Indoor Air Quality
• Minimum IAQ Performance
• Outdoor Air Delivery Monitoring
• Increased Ventilation
• Construction IAQ Management
• Low-Emitting Materials, Adhesives, Paints, Carpets, Agrifibers
• Indoor Chemical & Pollutant Source Control
• Controllability of Systems, Lighting & Thermal Comfort
• Thermal Comfort, Design & Verification
• Daylight & Views
Innovation and Design Process
• Innovation in Design, and Exemplary Performance
• LEED® Accredited Professional
Day 3 - Fair Housing, History, Finance
Fair Housing Concepts
• What are broker’s responsibilities? Law of Agency
• Databases, websites, school boards
ADA Americans with Disabilities Act
• How this compares with Fair Housing Act
NY State Legislation and Local Laws
• How do brokers uphold the law?
• What are consequences to landlords, brokers, journals, etc. if they break the law?
• Coops and condos
• Section 8 and local laws
Fair Housing Today!
Fair Housing in the News
• Are steering, blockbusting and redlining still alive?
• Famous controversies and trials in the news (Craigslist, Fresh Direct, State banking regs)
• “New” protected groups?
• The new presidency
Fair Housing and Green
• Is there a green profile?
• Is green elitist? Only for the rich? 80-20 in green buildings, affordable green buildings
• Fair Housing Poster - “it’s ok to consider color…as long as it’s green”
• Do green practices intrude on culture?
• Green as a social movement
History of Green Architecture
How the philosophy came about
Examples of Green Buildings
• Slide show of NY State Green buildings
Finance: How Much Green Can I Save?
Do green buildings cost more?
• Market value of “green”
• Comments from top developers - Larry Silverstein, Joseph Moinian, Sheldrake Org. etc.
Funding mechanisms for green buildings
• Incentive programs
• Tax advantages of building green
• Green mortgages
• NY State Programs, NYSERDA, Green building tax credits
• Local green policies in NY State Cities
• How to fill out State and Federal forms
• Most popular green programs, how they work, where to get more info
How Real Estate Professionals can benefit by understanding Green
Who buys green & why
• How to explain green building features
• What market studies show (NY Times, Co-star, other studies)
• How to market green
• Financial incentives for renters and buyers
• How to visit a green building
• Where to get more info
• Measures you can take in your community, neighborhood, apartment building
• Networking and joining groups - US Green Building Council, AIA, Online Green Groups, etc.
• Informational on upcoming green events and lectures
• Broker certifications such as eco-broker, GreenEstate, etc.
- Who is the
- Kristen Bacorn
degree in Architecture
licensed NYS Real Estate Broker
25 years NYC real estate industry
worked 1 year on construction site of Solaire (nation's
1st green residential hi-rise)
toured construction site of Helena (a green building)
Member of American Institute of Architects, Committee on
the Environment Member, US Green Building Council
- Quoted in Wall St. Journel on 11/16/2008 CLICK HERE
I have been taking continuing education classes for 12 years and this class was by far the best I have ever taken. Kristen Bacorn's knowledge and passion on the subject matter was incredible. I look forward to taking more classes with Ms. Bacorn. - Steve Roth
- Where do I
take this course?
- New York Real Estate Institute
139 West 35th, 2nd floor
New York, NY 10018